What Can a Mommy Makeover Do for You?
As you know, pregnancy, breastfeeding, and raising small children can take a toll on your body. However, just because you’re a mom doesn’t mean you can’t look great and feel confident. A mommy makeover procedure can be a great option for women who want to restore their bodies after pregnancy. You are not being vain or selfish by taking a little time to yourself—and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!
How can pregnancy affect a woman’s body?
Weight loss after pregnancy can be difficult because having a newborn means busy days and sleepless nights, so getting to the gym and cooking healthy meals is sometimes out of the question. And even if you do lose the weight, you are sometimes left with loose skin, a protruding belly, and sagging breasts—which you can’t fix on your own.
What procedures are included in a mommy makeover?
A mommy makeover is a combination of body and breast procedures that can provide you with comprehensive rejuvenation to help restore your pre-baby body.
· Breast Augmentation: After pregnancy and breastfeeding, your breasts can look deflated. Implants can give you fuller breasts and restore a sense of femininity and confidence that you lost after having children.
· Breast Lift: Many women also opt for a breast lift that can provide you with a more youthful breast contour. The combination of the 2 procedures can dramatically improve volume and shape.
· Tummy Tuck: Pregnancy often causes a condition called diastasis recti—separation of the abdominal muscles. A tummy tuck can correct this issue and also remove any excess skin from the lower abdomen.
· Liposuction: As I’ve mentioned before, a healthy lifestyle can only go so far. Liposuction can be a great addition to a mommy makeover to get rid of stubborn fat pockets that are resistant to diet and exercise.
What are the benefits of a mommy makeover?
Of course, the biggest benefit of a mommy makeover is achieving a full body transformation all at once. Because the procedures are performed at 1 time, you only have to undergo one recovery period. Additionally, the cost for a mommy makeover is less than the cost of having each surgery done separately. The cost of each procedure typically includes a consultation fee, facility fee, anesthesia fee, and surgical fee. When you combine procedures, you only pay the consultation fee, facility fee, and anesthesia fee once.
How do I find a qualified surgeon?
First, do a search of plastic surgeons in your area. Next, check if they are board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery—this accreditation is absolutely necessary. It ensures that your physician has had the proper training to perform your surgery. Check to make sure the surgeon specializes in mommy makeovers and has years of experience performing them. Combination procedures can be more complicated than single procedures, so it is truly important to find a highly skilled surgeon. Additionally, take a look at your surgeon’s gallery of before-and-after photos to get a better idea of your potential results. Lastly, check out patient reviews on third-party websites for honest insight about a doctor.
How should I prep for surgery?
Award-winning surgeon Dr. Alfred Sofer tells his patients at his plastic surgery center in Fairfield, CT that carefully following your surgeon’s pre-op instructions is necessary to reach your aesthetic goals. Some of these instructions include:
· Eat a balanced diet and stay active, so you can be close to your goal weight before surgery.
· Let your boss know that you will need around 2 to 3 weeks off work.
· Arrange for a family member or close friend to drive you home from surgery and help you around the house for at least the first 24 hours.
· Assemble any supplies you might need, such as compression garments, pain meds, stool softeners, and healthy snacks.
· Avoid smoking and nicotine products—they can increase risk of complications.
How long do results last?
Mommy makeover results can be long-lasting unless you have significant weight fluctuations or become pregnant. If you maintain a stable weight, then your results will last for many years. If you become dissatisfied with your appearance as you naturally age, you may be a good candidate for follow-up procedures. However, women are typically happy with the results from their original procedure.
If you want to learn more about mommy makeovers, check out my previous post about what to consider before surgery.