How to Look and Feel Fabulous When You’re a Busy Mom
Being a mom isn’t a glamorous job. Changing diapers, getting spit up on, and skipping your shower to run errands are all in a day’s work. So how do some moms seem to always look put together regardless of running on just a few hours’ sleep and a triple shot of espresso? It’s simpler than you think. Here are a few tips for all the moms out there who want to look and feel their best while they’re on the go.
· Nighttime prep. The more you prepare for the following day the night before, the less hectic your morning will be. I try to make time to pack lunches, plan outfits, and prep a morning smoothie before I go to bed. This way, you will have that extra few minutes in the morning to yourself. Rushing around in the morning always makes me agitated, which is not a great way to start the day.
· Keep baby wipes in your purse 24/7. Even if your kids are starting to get past the need for them, baby wipes are a versatile tool for both your kids, and you! They are perfect for cleaning foundation, lipstick, or coffee off your clothing. They are also great for touching up any smudged makeup. Make sure to use plain wipes—the ones that have aloe or moisturizer in them can cause yellow stains on white fabric.
· Splurge on nice undergarments. A bra that properly lifts and supports is completely worth the investment. Go get fitted at an undergarment specialist, like Victoria’s Secret, and find a bra that is comfortable and cute. While you are there, pickup some new underwear too. Wearing nice undergarments is a great confidence booster. And for a bonus, grab a good pair of nude Spanx. These can help smooth out any bumps and seams.
· Give your body a helping hand. Our bodies often change after having kids, and there is no shame in going to your local dermatologist or plastic surgeon for some touch-ups. With so many great options for minimally invasive treatments like BOTOX or even cosmetic surgery, it’s easy to get a little help. According to Dr. Andrew Wolfe, breast augmentation specialist in Denver, breast enhancement with a lift gives many post-nursing moms a fuller and more youthful contour, providing a boost to both their look and confidence.
· Trade your leggings for dark denim. Of course, leggings are comfortable and easy, and the activewear trend is in full force. However, a nice pair of dark jeans will take your everyday look to the next level. Even if you are just wearing a t-shirt and tennis shoes, opting for dark jeans is a much more polished look than leggings.
· Take care of your cuticles! For me, a weekly manicure, even if I do it myself, makes me feel good. Your nails don’t necessarily need to be painted, but it is important to shape and file them. I also apply cuticle cream to keep my nails moisturized and strong. If I do have my nails painted, I make sure to remove the polish as soon as it becomes chipped.
· Dry shampoo or bust. Texturizing spray and dry shampoo are great for when you have no time to wash your hair. A quick spritz can give you some volume and make your hair smell good even if you haven’t washed it in a few days.
· Maintain your pearly whites. With all the coffee and red wine we drink, it is a good idea to use special whitening toothpaste and strips to keep our smiles from looking dull. Red lipstick is a great last-minute way to brighten up your smile.
· Hydrate all day, every day. Keep a water bottle with you at all times—whether you’re at home or out an about. Drinking water does wonders for your skin and hair. It can also fill you up, so you won’t snack as much.
· Spend more time on skincare than your makeup routine. Gorgeous skin can help you look put together no matter how much time you spend on the rest of your beauty routine. No matter what, take off your makeup before you go to bed—that is the number one rule. I recommend adding an eye cream and a gentle cleanser as well.
· Use lipstick as your cheek color. If you don’t have time for a full makeup routine, throw on some moisturizer, concealer, and mascara. I like to add a subtle pink lip and smudge a small amount of the lipstick on my cheeks with my finger. This simple makeup routine will take you about 5 minutes.
Just because you are a busy mom doesn’t mean you can’t look fabulous. In the end, it’s all about feeling confident about yourself. These simple tips won’t take up too much of your time, and they will make a world of difference.